How Much Does It Cost to Maintain a House in Missouri City, Texas? My Real Bills in 2026


Cost to maintain house in Missouri City Texas 2026 real electricity HOA lawn bills
My real house maintenance bills for July 2026 in Missouri City, Texas - 2100 sq ft house


How Much Does It Cost to Maintain a House in Missouri City, Texas? My Real Bills in 2026

I live in a 3-bedroom single-family house in Missouri City, Texas, 77459. We bought this house in 2022. Many people moving from California and New York to Texas ask me about the real monthly cost to maintain a house here. Zillow shows the mortgage, but no one talks about the hidden bills.

In this article, I will share my actual bills from July 2026. No estimates, only real numbers from my CenterPoint, HOA, and lawn service. If you are planning to buy a house in Fort Bend County or Houston suburbs, this guide will help you budget correctly.

My House Details for Context

Before I share bills, you need to know my house size. Costs change based on size.

  • Location: Missouri City, Texas, Fort Bend County, 77459, near Highway 6 and Sienna area
  • Size: 2100 sq ft, 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 2-car garage, built in 2018
  • Lot Size: 6500 sq ft with small backyard
  • HOA Community: Yes, gated community with pool and park

Monthly House Maintenance Costs in Missouri City - July 2026 Real Bills

1. Electricity Bill - The Biggest Shock in Texas Summer

My July 2026 Bill: $287 for 2100 kWh

Texas summer is brutal. In July, temperature was 102F for 15 days. My AC ran 18 hours a day. I use Gexa Energy with 12 cents per kWh plan. My thermostat is set to 76F during day and 74F at night.

For a 2100 sq ft house in Missouri City, expect $180 to $320 from June to September. In winter, it drops to $90 to $130. Pro tip: I installed blackout curtains in 2025 and my bill dropped by $35 per month. Also, change your AC filter every 30 days in summer. A dirty filter increased my bill by $40 last year.

2. HOA Fees - Mandatory in Most Missouri City Communities

My 2026 HOA: $850 per year, paid as $425 every 6 months

This is mandatory. My HOA covers community pool, park, street lights, and front yard mowing of common areas. Some communities in Sienna charge $1200 to $1500 per year. Before buying, ask for HOA rules. My HOA fines $50 if you leave trash cans outside after Tuesday pickup.

Actionable step: Ask for HOA resale certificate before closing. It shows if HOA has any lawsuit or big assessment coming.

3. Lawn Care - You Cannot Skip This in Fort Bend County

My Lawn Service: $120 per month for 4 mows

HOA requires your lawn to be under 6 inches. In Texas summer, grass grows 3 inches per week. I pay $120 per month for mowing, edging, and weed control. This includes 4 visits per month from March to October. From November to February, it is $60 for 2 visits.

If you do it yourself, you need a lawn mower $350, weed eater $150, and 2 hours every weekend. I tried for 6 months and then hired service. Texas heat is too much.

Extra cost: Sprinkler system repair cost me $180 in May 2026. Sprinkler heads break every year due to heat.

4. AC Maintenance - Most Important in Texas

My AC Tune-up: $89 twice a year + $4500 if AC fails

I pay $89 in April and $89 in October for AC tune-up with a local company in Stafford. This is not optional. If AC fails in July, you will wait 3 days for repair and pay emergency fee $200 extra. New AC for 2100 sq ft house costs $4500 to $6500 in 2026.

My tip: Change filter from Home Depot for $15 every month. This saved my AC coil. My neighbor did not change filter and paid $900 for coil cleaning.

5. Home Insurance and Property Tax - The Hidden Big Costs

Home Insurance: $2100 per year in 2026

Texas home insurance is expensive due to hurricane risk. I pay $2100 per year for 2100 sq ft house with $350,000 coverage. This is with State Farm with 2% hurricane deductible. In 2024 I paid $1700. It increased 23% in 2 years.

Property Tax: $6200 per year for 2026

This is the biggest shock for people moving from California. Fort Bend County tax rate is 2.1% in 2026. My house appraised at $295,000. So $295,000 x 2.1% = $6195 per year. You pay this monthly with mortgage, about $516 per month extra on top of mortgage.

Actionable step: Protest your property tax every year in April with Fort Bend County Appraisal District. I protested in 2025 and saved $480 per year. Use a company like O'Connor, they charge 50% of savings only if they win.

6. Pest Control - Mandatory in Houston Area

My Pest Control: $79 per quarter

We have roaches, ants, mosquitoes, and spiders. I pay $79 every 3 months for quarterly spray inside and outside. Without this, German roaches come in summer. This is normal in Missouri City and Sugar Land area due to humidity and bayous.

7. Water and Trash - City of Missouri City Bills

Water Bill: $65 per month in summer, $40 in winter

This includes water, sewer, and trash pickup. Trash pickup is Tuesday and Friday. Recycling is Tuesday only. If you water lawn daily in summer, bill goes to $90. I water 3 days a week as per city restriction.

Total Monthly Maintenance Cost - My Real Calculation for July 2026

Here is my total for July 2026, excluding mortgage principal and interest.

  • Electricity: $287
  • HOA Monthly Average: $71
  • Lawn Care: $120
  • AC Maintenance Average: $15
  • Home Insurance Monthly Average: $175
  • Property Tax Monthly: $516
  • Pest Control Average: $26
  • Water and Trash: $65

Total: $1275 per month only for maintenance, tax, and insurance in July 2026.

In winter, January 2026, my total was $985 because electricity was $110.

So budget $1000 to $1300 per month extra on top of your mortgage payment for a 2100 sq ft house in Missouri City, Texas.

5 Ways I Saved Money on House Maintenance in Texas

1. Switch Electricity Provider Every 12 Months: Texas has PowerToChoose.org website. I switch every year to get cheapest rate. Never auto-renew. I saved $320 in 2025 by switching from Reliant to Gexa.

2. Protest Property Tax Every Year: As I said, protest in April. Deadline is May 15. I do it online in 10 minutes. Saved $480 in 2025.

3. Install Programmable Thermostat: I installed Ecobee thermostat for $199. It learns my schedule and saves 15% on electricity. Paid for itself in 7 months.

4. Buy Lawn Mower in Winter: Home Depot and Lowe's clear lawn mowers in November for 30% off. I bought my mower in November 2024 for $249 instead of $399.

5. Bundle Home and Auto Insurance: I bundled home insurance with State Farm auto insurance and saved $340 per year on home insurance. Ask your agent for bundling discount.

Conclusion

Maintaining a house in Missouri City, Texas costs $1000 to $1300 per month in 2026 excluding mortgage. The biggest costs are property tax and electricity in summer. If you are moving from out of state to Houston suburbs, budget this amount separately.

My advice from 4 years of living here: Do not skip AC maintenance and pest control to save money. These two will cost you 10 times more if you ignore them. Also, protest your property tax every year, and switch electricity provider every 12 months using PowerToChoose.

Texas still offers affordable living compared to California, but the maintenance costs are real. Plan for $1275 in summer months and $985 in winter months for a 2100 sq ft house in Fort Bend County.

Do you live in Missouri City, Sienna, or Sugar Land? What is your average electricity bill in summer 2026? Share in comments to help new home buyers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

സൈനിക ശക്തി മാത്രം പോരാ, ജനങ്ങൾ പട്ടിണി കിടന്നാൽ രാജ്യം വീഴും: ഇറാൻ സ്പീക്കർ ഘാലിബാഫ്

​ട്രംപ് ബട്ടൺ അമർത്തിയില്ല; ഒരു ഫോൺ കോളിൽ യുദ്ധം നിർത്തി, ലോകം ശ്വാസം പിടിച്ചു

​ട്രംപിന്റെ 'റെഡ് ലൈൻ'! ഇറാന്റെ സാമ്പത്തിക സാമ്രാജ്യം പൂട്ടി അമേരിക്ക; കട്ടക്കലിപ്പിൽ ചൈനയും റഷ്യയും!